SSL for trafficserver

$ubbu

Hi,

     We are using apache traffic server for caching http sites for a quite long time,recently we had to cache https sites .

I took reference of https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/security/index.en.html

But unable to work it out.

I have a few questions

1.my origin server has CA signed wild card certificate , so what kind of certificate should I install on traffic server (ex:self signed or ca signed) and what are the steps to install certificate?

2.what format of the certificate works (.pem or crt or pfx) ?

3.I have one more link http://www.quobell.nl/blog/apache-traffic-server-ats-as-reverse-proxy-for-outsystems/

Which I tried with both self signed and ca signed certificates but I encountered the following error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

   Please help me in this process.

Thanks in Advance !!!

Regards
Subrahmanya Prasad P

Re: SSL for trafficserver

Reindl Harald
"my origin server has CA signed wild card certificate, so what kind of
certificate should I install on traffic server (ex:self signed or ca
signed) and what are the steps to install certificate?"

that is a very strange question

a) if you don't want warnings on the clients self-signed
    is not a option

b) when you already have CA signed ones just put them on the proxy

c) you don't need any certificate at all on the backend - that's what
TLS-offloading is all about

"what format of the certificate works (.pem or crt or pfx)" - as for
anything else in the openbsource world - PEM - just cat the prvate key,
intermediate-certificates and the certifiate in a file and use it as
it's done for httpd, postfix, dovecot and what not....

with the config below you just put our certificates into
"/etc/trafficserver/ssl/" and list the certs in "ssl_multicert.config"

[root@proxy:~]$ cat /etc/trafficserver/ssl_multicert.config
# optional 'ssl_ca_name=ca_name.crt' when intermediate-certs are not in
the pem-file
ssl_cert_name=thelounge.net.pem

[root@proxy:~]$ cat /etc/trafficserver/remap.config | grep www.thelounge.net
map http://www.thelounge.net http://www.thelounge.net
map https://www.thelounge.net http://www.thelounge.net

[root@proxy:~]$ cat /etc/trafficserver/records.config | grep ssl
CONFIG proxy.config.http.server_ports STRING 80 443:ssl
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.TLSv1 INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.TLSv1_1 INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.TLSv1_2 INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.client.TLSv1 INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.client.TLSv1_1 INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.client.TLSv1_2 INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.client.certification_level INT 0
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.server.multicert.filename STRING
ssl_multicert.config
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.server.cert.path STRING /etc/trafficserver/ssl/
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.server.private_key.path STRING
/etc/trafficserver/ssl/
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.CA.cert.path STRING /etc/trafficserver/ssl/
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.server.cipher_suite STRING
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-CAMELLIA128-SHA:DHE-RSA-CAMELLIA256-SHA:AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-SHA:AES256-SHA:CAMELLIA128-SHA:CAMELLIA256-SHA:!LOW:!MEDIUM
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.server.honor_cipher_order INT 1
CONFIG proxy.config.ssl.server.dhparams_file STRING
/etc/trafficserver/ssl/dhparams.pem

Am 30.06.2017 um 14:19 schrieb $ubbu:

> Hi,
>
>       We are using apache traffic server for caching http sites for a
> quite long time,recently we had to cache https sites .
>
> I took reference of
> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/security/index.en.html
>
> But unable to work it out.
>
> I have a few questions
>
> 1.my origin server has CA signed wild card certificate , so what kind of
> certificate should I install on traffic server (ex:self signed or ca
> signed) and what are the steps to install certificate?
>
> 2.what format of the certificate works (.pem or crt or pfx) ?
>
> 3.I have one more link
> http://www.quobell.nl/blog/apache-traffic-server-ats-as-reverse-proxy-for-outsystems/
>
> Which I tried with both self signed and ca signed certificates but I
> encountered the following error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
>
>     Please help me in this process.
>
> Thanks in Advance !!!

Re: SSL for trafficserver

Miles Libbey
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 5:19 AM, $ubbu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      We are using apache traffic server for caching http sites for a quite
> long time,recently we had to cache https sites .
>
> I took reference of
> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/security/index.en.html
>
> But unable to work it out.
>
> I have a few questions
>
> 1.my origin server has CA signed wild card certificate , so what kind of
> certificate should I install on traffic server (ex:self signed or ca signed)
> and what are the steps to install certificate?

ATS would be acting as a client when talking to your origin server.
So, it would use the machine's CA certificate store (like
https://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html) to verify that your origin's
certificate is valid.

> 2.what format of the certificate works (.pem or crt or pfx) ?

if this is for

> 3.I have one more link
> http://www.quobell.nl/blog/apache-traffic-server-ats-as-reverse-proxy-for-outsystems/
>
> Which I tried with both self signed and ca signed certificates but I
> encountered the following error ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

I suppose you are talking about ATS talking to your origin server
here? If so, guess you'd have to add the public key of the origin's
self-signed cert into the CA certificate store.

>    Please help me in this process.
>

> Thanks in Advance !!!

> Regards
> Subrahmanya Prasad P