[PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

[PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

Bryan Call-2
There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!

ICP (Internet Cache Protocol) is currently not working in ATS.  ICP is an Informational RFC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2187) that has some known flaws since it doesn’t share header information to the peer.  It would be preferable to have HTCP (Hyper Text Caching Protocol https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2756) support instead.

The proposal is to disable the configuration options for ICP for now, so it can’t be enabled.  It might be helpful to keep the code in ATS for someone that would like to convert it into HTCP.

Thank you,

-Bryan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

Leif Hedstrom

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 7:08 PM, Bryan Call <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>
> ICP (Internet Cache Protocol) is currently not working in ATS.  ICP is an Informational RFC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2187) that has some known flaws since it doesn’t share header information to the peer.  It would be preferable to have HTCP (Hyper Text Caching Protocol https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2756) support instead.

I’m +1 on removing this, unless someone steps up as an active ICP developer and user in the ATS community. ICP is indeed a seriously flawed protocol, and putting efforts into HTCP would be time much better spent.

Cheers,

— Leif

> The proposal is to disable the configuration options for ICP for now, so it can’t be enabled.  It might be helpful to keep the code in ATS for someone that would like to convert it into HTCP.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Bryan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

James Peach

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Bryan Call <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>
> ICP (Internet Cache Protocol) is currently not working in ATS.  ICP is an Informational RFC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2187) that has some known flaws since it doesn’t share header information to the peer.  It would be preferable to have HTCP (Hyper Text Caching Protocol https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2756) support instead.
>
> The proposal is to disable the configuration options for ICP for now, so it can’t be enabled.  It might be helpful to keep the code in ATS for someone that would like to convert it into HTCP.

+1 on removing ICP

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

英才
+1 on removing ICP

2016年8月21日星期日,James Peach <[hidden email]> 写道:

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Bryan Call <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;bcall@apache.org&#39;)">bcall@...> wrote:
>
> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>
> ICP (Internet Cache Protocol) is currently not working in ATS.  ICP is an Informational RFC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2187) that has some known flaws since it doesn’t share header information to the peer.  It would be preferable to have HTCP (Hyper Text Caching Protocol https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2756) support instead.
>
> The proposal is to disable the configuration options for ICP for now, so it can’t be enabled.  It might be helpful to keep the code in ATS for someone that would like to convert it into HTCP.

+1 on removing ICP

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

Phil Sorber
+1

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 8:15 PM 黄英才 <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 on removing ICP

2016年8月21日星期日,James Peach <[hidden email]> 写道:

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 4:08 PM, Bryan Call <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>
> ICP (Internet Cache Protocol) is currently not working in ATS.  ICP is an Informational RFC (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2187) that has some known flaws since it doesn’t share header information to the peer.  It would be preferable to have HTCP (Hyper Text Caching Protocol https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2756) support instead.
>
> The proposal is to disable the configuration options for ICP for now, so it can’t be enabled.  It might be helpful to keep the code in ATS for someone that would like to convert it into HTCP.

+1 on removing ICP

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove configuration of ICP support in 7.0.0

Bryan Call-2
Thank you for all the feedback on this proposal.  Removing configuration for ICP will be done in 7.0.0.

-Bryan