Cache sharing between siblings

Veiko Kukk
Hi,

I'm new to ATS, so far we've been using Squid, but due to it's instability are moving away.

I'm interested in avoiding regional cache duplication in CDN system. Currently, we have several Squid servers working as siblings and only pulling from origin if none of them has the object in cache, if sibling has object in cache, it's pulled from sibling but not stored locally. Only new content fetched from origin is store locally. Sibling lookup is done via ICP and has been working quite well so far.

Is similar setup possible with ATS?
I found no information in documentation how to configure siblings (only parent configuration is documented). Could you point me to right direction?

Regards,
Veiko

Re: Cache sharing between siblings

Veiko Kukk
Hi again,

Are there any better lists/forums to ask such questions?

Regards,
Veiko

I'm new to ATS, so far we've been using Squid, but due to it's instability are moving away.

I'm interested in avoiding regional cache duplication in CDN system. Currently, we have several Squid servers working as siblings and only pulling from origin if none of them has the object in cache, if sibling has object in cache, it's pulled from sibling but not stored locally. Only new content fetched from origin is store locally. Sibling lookup is done via ICP and has been working quite well so far.

Is similar setup possible with ATS?
I found no information in documentation how to configure siblings (only parent configuration is documented). Could you point me to right direction?

Regards,
Veiko

Re: Cache sharing between siblings

Jeremy Payne
I've been thinking about this, but you can use current parent
functionality to perform local node(edge) object lookups.
It's a hack and requires careful configuration of your remap and
parent configuration so to not end up in a cache loop
or end up storing duplicate copies.. but it is a doable workaround in
the absence of some type of clustering(CARP, etc).

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Alan Carroll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the delay, and thanks Dave for answering. This is a feature under
> active development. Oath internally uses a plugin that implements CARP for
> sharing across a pod. We are trying to open source it but it's currently too
> flaky to support externally. We are working on improving it to the point
> where it can be open sourced without embarrassment. In the longer run,
> however, there is a "Layer 7 Routing" project (also known as "Next Hop")
> which you can track here -
> https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/projects/7
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 9:53 AM, David Carlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> ATS doesn't have this functionality currently.  I know a couple companies
>> are working on it, but nothing to contribute to open source yet as far as I
>> know.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Veiko Kukk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> Are there any better lists/forums to ask such questions?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Veiko

Re: Cache sharing between siblings

Jeremy Payne
btw... i'll add a lesson learned post to my wiki..
give me a couple days to clean up lab details.. :-)